In addition to readers of Exclaim.ca and Exclaim! Magazine from across Canada recently voting their debut album I Blame You the 9th best punk album of 2009 (details here), our friends in Obits are soon headed to Europe on tour! This will mark their first-ever shows in such cities as… Freiburg! Limoges! Bilbao! And others!
The full slate of Obits’ European tour dates can be found here and then also here…
Feb 23 Theaterkeller, Göttingen, Germany
Feb 24 The Great Räng Teng Teng, Freiburg, Germany
Feb 25 Art Cafe L’Emile Vache, Metz, France
Feb 26 Milk Club, Genova, Italy
Feb 27 L’Usine, Genève, Switzerland
Feb 28 Le Clacson, Oullins, France
Mar 01 L’Appart Cafe, Reims, France
Mar 02 Point Ephémère, Paris, France
Mar 03 La Fourmi, Limoges, France
Mar 04 Saint-Ex, Bordeaux, France
Mar 05 Fever/Santana 27, Bilbao, Spain
Mar 06 Sala BeCool, Barcelona, Spain
And then, in April, Obits will play 4 east coast shows with Ted Leo and the Pharmacists (the latter three of which they’ll also be playing with Screaming Females). Like this:
Apr 07 First Unitarian Church, Philadelphia, PA
Apr 08 930 Club, Washington, DC
Apr 09 Irving Plaza, New York City, NY
Apr 10 Paradise, Boston, MA
New news from The Go! Team!
The Go! Team’s free digital stuff site is live today here.
You’ll find a new recording of “Milk Crisis,” the 4 track EP of “Get It Together,” their first release, some remixes they’ve done of others and others have done of them and some song parts for you to monkey around with—“Ladyflash” and the Chuck D-featuring “Flashlight Fight.” Feel free to send yr remixes to email@example.com.
The Team will be adding more downloads to this site from time to time, old demos, live versions and stuff…
Go here to register and download.
PLUS! The Go! Team are touring in the US this summer! And, they’re doing much of this touring with CSS! Take a look at the dates here.
If you love the new Foals record as much we do, tend to think you can outdo most studio audiences, are 18 or over, AND will be in the LA area on Friday, May 23rd, then you’ll be excited to know that your golden opportunity may just be around the corner.
That Friday evening, the Foals will be performing on the Jimmy Kimmel Live! and we’d love to see you whoop it with the band and Mr. Kimmel on national television.
Tickets and information are available here.
If you’re not going to be around for Kimmel, worry not—you catch a breeze with the band elsewhere on their upcoming tour.
This just in from our friends in The Helio Sequence…
Benjamin and I just got back from a great tour in Scandinavia and the UK with Low. Here are a few things we learned while over there:
- People in Sweden really are more attractive, intelligent and well educated than everywhere else AND Stockholm really is cleaner, more sophisticated and charming than anywhere else.
- The Danish use a “floating ground” system, which for those of us with no electrical training means: “watch out or you’ll be shocked with 240 volts on your lips if you touch that microphone!”
- Drinking enough Scotch on an overnight ferry ride across the English channel has a similar effect to taking 4 Dramamine. But…either way you will still feel like you’re on the ferry for the entire next day, even if you are on solid ground.
- They DO NOT drive on the wrong side of the road in the UK (and you will definitely be set straight if you say otherwise on stage!)
- Stonehenge actually isn’t smaller than you think it will be when you see it for the first time…it actually seems bigger…that is, if you expected it to be smaller in the first place because everyone has already told you it will be smaller than you expect it to be. Get what I mean?
- If you are on stage in Gateshead do not say “Hello Newcastle!!!”
- Brown sauce is good…on just about everything. Mushy peas are not as disgusting as they sound. A Banger IS a type of food. And beans for breakfast is a possibility.
- Watch what you say and do in the UK because Big Brother really is watching. Just take a look around and see how many CCTV cameras are trained on you at any given moment anywhere you may be.
That concludes the observational part of this post. Now, on to the news. We’ve got a really big US tour to announce!!! We’ve had people e-mailing asking us “Please come to Peoria” and “Please come to Evanston”…well, we’re not going to make it to either of those cities but we are going to a whole lot of other places. The full list of our tour dates is here. We’d love to see you out at the show!
Though we didn’t manage to say something about this when it was first announced, we’ve been hearing really great things about this current Eric’s Trip reunion tour. And, because there are still some of these shows left, please consider yourself encouraged to attend one (or several!) of them if you can. Here are the remaining dates:
Sept 20 : Waterloo, ON : Starlight
Sept 22 : London, ON : Call the Office
Sept 23 : Guelph, ON : Club Vinyl
Oct 5 : Ottawa, ON : Barrymore’s
Oct 7 : Montreal, QC : Ukranian Federation (POPMontreal)
Oct 19 : Moncton, NB : Paramount
Oct 20 : Halifax, NS : Marquee (POP Explosion)
Maybe also helpful: the Eric’s Trip Myspace page.
Although it’s already been covered elsewhere (here, here and here, for instance…), we are still kind of scratching our heads over the fact that right now our very own Kinski is on tour with Tool. The band Tool. In giant stadiums.
From what we hear from the band, it’s going exceptionally well; the Tool folks have been great hosts, and their fans have been receptive to Kinski (sample recent comment on the Kinski Myspace page – “Damn, saw you guys open for Tool last night, just wanted to say thanks! It’s about time they had a worthy opening band… sounded great! See you again at the Wichita show!”).
All of which is, of course, very good to hear. And, it’s even better to hear in light of the fact that at their very first show in Reno last Monday, the band was greeted with,
“Oh great. Here comes 45 minutes of bullshit,”
from someone in the first few rows. Of course, one of the Kinskis responded with, “Actually, we’re only doing 30 minutes.”
Just before they left for these dates, the band put the finishing touches on their forthcoming new record Down Below It’s Chaos. Produced by Randall Dunn (Earth, Sunn 0))), Boris) at his Aleph Studio, Down Below It’s Chaos will be released on August 21, 2007. On Sub Pop.
Here are the remaining Kinski dates with Tool:
May 09 World Arena, Colorado Springs, CO
May 11 Kansas Coliseum, Wichita, KS
May 12 Mid America Center, Council Bluffs, IA
May 15 DeSoto Center, Southaven, MS
May 16 Ft. Worth Convention Center, Ft. Worth, TX
May 17 Centurytel Arena, Bossier City, LA
May 19 Ford Center, Oklahoma City, OK
May 21 AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX
May 22 American Bank Center, Corpus Christi, TX
May 24 River Center, Baton Rouge, LA
May 25 Pensacola Civic Center, Pensacola, FL
May 26 Verizon Wireless Center, Birmingham, AL