News from 4/2011
Record Store Day is April 16, 2011
We at Sub Pop Records will be very thoroughly celebrating Record Store Day this year, with a number of releases and events across the country very nearly beyond our meager ability to count. We’ll have limited-edition Record Store Day exclusive releases from Blitzen Trapper, Fleet Foxes and Lower Dens, a free 19-track Sub Pop sampler, and in-store performances by Obits, Low and The Head and the Heart. Plus, the self-titled debut from The Head and the Heart comes out on CD and LP on April 16th as part of Record Store Day. To find a participating store, go here.
Record Store Day Exclusive Releases
Fleet Foxes — Helplessness Blues b/w Grown Ocean 12" single SP920 (limited edition of 3000)
Lower Dens — Deer Knives b/w Tangiers 7" single SP927 (limited edition of 1000)
Blitzen Trapper — Maybe Baby b/w Soul Singer 7" single SP929 (limited edition of 1500)
Record Store Day Release Date
The Head and the Heart The Head and the Heart CD/LP SP915
Record Store Day Sampler
Terminal Sales Vol. 4: Please to Enjoy CD SP932
Our 2011 label sampler, comes housed in an embossed, die-cut package, and includes 18 art prints with information about each of the artists and a folded poster. Sub Pop would like to give it to you.
1. Daniel Martin Moore “Dark Road” from the album In the Cool of the Day (SP860), available January 2011
2. Aurelio “Tio Sam” from the album Laru Beya (NXA002), available on Next Ambiance January 2011
3. The Twilight Singers “On the Corner” from the album Dynamite Steps (SP844), available February 2011
4. Mogwai “Slight Domestic” from the “Mexican Grand Prix” 7" single on Rock Action Records, available February 2011
5. Papercuts “Do What You Will” from the album Fading Parade (SP885), available February 2011
6. Dum Dum Girls “Wrong Feels Right” from the He Gets Me High EP (SP917), available March 2011
7. J Mascis “Not Enough” from the album Several Shades of Why (SP859), available March 2011
8. Obits “You Gotta Lose” from the album Moody, Standard and Poor (SP857) available March 2011
9. Low “Try to Sleep” from the album C’mon (SP905), available April 2011
10. The Head and the Heart “No One to Let You Down,” previously unreleased. The album The Head and the Heart (SP915) is available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
11. Blitzen Trapper “Maybe Baby” from the “Maybe Baby” 7" single (SP929), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
12. Lower Dens “Deer Knives” from the “Deer Knives” 7" single (SP927), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
13. Fleet Foxes “Helplessness Blues” from the album Helplessness Blues (SP888), available May 2011
14. Chad VanGaalen “Peace on the Rise” from the album Diaper Island (SP871), available May 2011
15. Shabazz Palaces “lost foundling.” This Shabazz Palaces track is not from the album Black Up (SP900), available May 2011
16. Memoryhouse “Sleep Patterns” from The Years EP (SP925), available at some as-yet-undetermined point in 2011
17. Mister Heavenly “Mister Heavenly” from the as-yet-untitled Mister Heavenly debut album (SP926), available August 2011
18. Niki and the Dove “The Fox” From “The Fox” 12" single (SP930), available June 2011
19. Blouse “Shadow” From the “Shadow” 7" single (SP939), available May 2011
Bands Performing in Actual Record Stores
The Head and the Heart
Sonic Boom (Ballard), Seattle, WA 3pm (acoustic)
Easy Street (Queen Anne), Seattle, WA 7pm (full band)
Electric Fetus, Minneapolis, MN 4pm
Generation Records, New York, NY time TBC.
Beautiful World Syndicate , Philadelphia 2pm
For more information on Record Store Day visit the Record Store Day website.
Niki & the Dove are making their live US debut here in Seattle this Wednesday, April 6th at The Crocodile. Not only that but the whole of the $5 cover charge is going directly to the Red Cross. Good music and a good cause! If you’re with us here in Seattle, come on down. Doors are at 8pm.
Seattle’s own The Head and the Heart’s self-titled full-length is officially available on CD/LP today, April 16, which also coincides with the 3rd Annual Record Store Day. To commemorate this momentous occasion (and indie retail holiday), the band will perform two in-stores in their hometown. The first, an acoustic set at 3:00 pm at the Ballard Sonic Boom, and the second a full band performance at Queen Anne’s Easy Street Records at 7:00 pm.
But wait! There’s more…
The band will join guests Reese Witherspoon and Kevin McHale to make their television debut April 21st on Conan. They will perform their latest single Lost in My Mind which is available to download for free now!
Finally some good Mogwai tour news! They have rescheduled the shows they had to postpone last week. It’s also worth noting that they are playing in Montreal tonight (welcome at last to this side of the pond, gentlemen!) and will be proceeding with the rest of their North American tour as planned.
Here are the new dates for you:
September 26-27 New York, NY Webster Hall
(April 21 tickets will be honored for the September 26 show and April 22 tickets will be honored for the September 27 show.)
September 28 Philadelphia, PA Starlight Ballroom
September 29 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
October 1 Boston, MA House of Blues
(All tickets previously purchased for the Paradise show will be honored for the House of Blues show.)
The rest of their North American tourdates can be found here:
Washed Out is the operational alias for Atlanta, GA’s Ernest Greene, and on July 12th, we at Sub Pop Records will be releasing the first Washed Out full-length, Within and Without. We are excited about this, to an almost unseemly degree. Greene recorded Within and Without with Ben Allen, who, among a great many other things, co-produced Animal Collective’s Merriweather Post Pavillion, Gnarls Barkley’s St. Elsewhere and Deerhunter’s Halcyon Digest. In 2009 Washed Out released two critically-acclaimed EPs; Life of Leisure (Mexican Summer) and High Times (Mirror Universe Tapes). Most recently, the Washed Out song “Feel It All Around,” from Life of Leisure, was chosen as the theme song for the new and very funny IFC series Portlandia, which features Saturday Night Live cast member Fred Armisen and Sleater-Kinney/Sub Pop alum and current Wild Flag member Carrie Brownstein.
US tour dates coming soon!
Within And Without SP945 (Sub Pop Records/World Wide Records)
1. Eyes Be Closed
3. Amor Fati
5. Far Away
7. You and I
8. Within and Without
9. A Dedication