Indie Rock Spring Break aka The SXSW Music Festival is right around the corner, and we are thrilled to announce our 2012 showcase lineup, to be held on March 16 at Red 7.
This year’s lineup will feature performances from the likes of Shearwater, Niki & The Dove, Spoek Mathambo, Poor Moon, Father John Misty, THEESatisfaction, King Tuff, Blitzen Trapper, Poor Moon, Debo Band and Husky.
You can now stream tunes from each of the bands we have playing at this
year’s festival by clicking here. We have also included set times for the showcase below.
Stay tuned for a full list of Sub Pop related events & day parties at this year’s festival!
Blitzen Trapper- 1am
Father John Misty 12am
King Tuff 10pm
Poor Moon 9pm
Niki & The Dove 1am
Spoek Mathambo 12am
Debo Band 9pm
Special Guest 8pm
Stockholm’s Niki & The Dove, a/k/a Malin Dahlstroem and Gustaf Karloef, have announced a handful of US dates in early March surrounding SXSW. To support this batch of shows, we thought we would share with you a new video for the track “The Fox” which was directed by the folks at WINTR You can watch above. Like what you see & hear? Click here to download the MP3.
Niki & The Dove Tour Dates:
Mar 8 U Street Music Hall Washington, DC
Mar 10 Knitting Factory Brooklyn, NY
Mar 20 Soda Bar San Diego, CA
Mar 21 Bootleg Theater Los Angeles, CA
What people have been saying about Niki & The Dove:
…the combinations of confident, drum machine-fused hooks and Dahlstoem’s mystical lyrics, similar to a Bjork-esque fairy tale, leave you an eerie sense of menace. (Vogue, track review “The Fox” 2011)
“The Fox” is the titular, earthquaking single from Swedish pop duo Niki & the Dove. (Pitchfork, track review “The Fox” 2011)
The band’s promising distinctive electronic pop overlays should be held accountable for the earworm syndrome with Niki & The Dove. Their songs are full of magic and light but with an unsettling darkness hidden beneath the surface. Take a listen for yourself, below. (Filter, “The Drummer” EP review 2012)
Niki and The Dove is a duo from Stockholm, Sweden made up of Malin Dahlström and Gustaf Karlöf. Their songs are full of magic and light but with an unsettling darkness hidden beneath the surface. Since getting together in February 2010, Malin and Gustaf have been busy writing together, figuring out just how pop music works and then discovering new ways to break it. The Swedish duo released The Fox EP earlier this year and are now set to release a digital-only EP on Oct 18 entitled The Drummer, which, according to the band and NME, “tells a story about a wrestle at night”.
“The Drummer tells a story about a wrestle at night, in a no mans land, where everything is uncertain. It’s about the inevitable question of if you’re choosing the right direction in your life or not.”
The band will be heading to the states to open 3 SOLDOUT shows for Peter Bjorn & John in the NYC area with a 14 date UK tour to follow in October. See below for a full list of shows.
The Drummer EP Track Listing:
Sundog The Drummer
The Breath of the World
The Birth of the Sun
Sep 13 HOBOKEN, NJ Maxwell’s w/ Peter Bjorn & John
Sep 15 BROOKLYN, NY MHOW w/ Peter Bjorn & John
Sep 16 NEWYORK, NY Bowery Ballroom w/ Peter Bjorn & John
Oct 02 Exeter Phoenix, Exeter, United Kingdom
Oct 03 Thekla Social, Bristol, United Kingdom
Oct 04 Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Oct 05 Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Oct 07 02 Academy Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Oct 08 Club Academy, Manchester, United Kingdom
Oct 09 02 Academy Newcastle, Newcastle, United Kingdom
Oct 10 King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Oct 11 Cockpit, Leeds, United Kingdom
Oct 13 Waterfront, Norwich, United Kingdom
Oct 14 Oxford Academy, Oxford, United Kingdom
Oct 15 Sugarmill, Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Oct 17 Concorde 2, Brighton, United Kingdom
Oct 18 Koko, London, United Kingdom
Insert your email in the widget above to download the 12" extended mix of the Niki and The Dove track, “Gentle Roar” by Scottish producer Mylo.
Swedish pop duo Niki and The Dove, featuring Malin Dahlström and Gustaf Karlöf, are pleased to announce the release of their single The Fox, out on Sub Pop Records June 14th.
“We got inspired to write “The Fox” when we heard this interview with this Swedish book author on the radio, the author describes a technique for insomnia where you picture a meadow with a hill, AND at the top of the hill is a tree that a fox lives under, you walk up the fox and tell her all your worries and fears, the fox then digs a hole, buries the worries and lays on top. Then you are able to fall asleep" Niki and The Dove
The Fox 12" will feature on side a. The Fox, side b. Gentle Roar and b2. Somebody (Drum Machine Version)
Since getting together in February 2010, Malin and Gustaf have been busy writing together, figuring out just how pop music works and then discovering new ways to break it. Creating song that are full of magic and light but with an unsettling darkness hidden beneath their surface. Their first single “DJ, Ease My Mind”/“Under the Bridges” released on leading UK independent label Moshi Moshi, was one of the most striking debuts of the year, catching the attention of everyone from Artrocker and NME through to The Sunday Times, who declared the single could “…be the two greatest alt-pop songs of 2010.” And if “DJ, Ease My Mind,” revealed a band with a precociously fully-formed sound, their self-released follow up “Mother Protect” shows that Niki and The Dove are truly poised for great things. A riotous collision of barely constrained electronic pop overlaid with Malin’s distinctive, glacial vocals, “Mother Protect,” confirmed Niki and The Dove as a truly unique talent and ones to watch.
Watch video for “DJ, Ease My Mind” and “Under The Bridges” here
Niki and The Dove will be touring the UK this May:
May 13 – Brighton, Great Escape Festival
May 17 – Glasgow, Playroom, The Arches
May 18 – Leeds, Above Average, Nation Of Shopkeepers
May 21- Liverpool, Moshi Moshi Party, Zanzibar Club
May 24- London, Electrowerkz
May 28 – Bristol (dottodot festival)
May 29 – Nottingham (dottodot festival)
May 30 – Manchester (dottodot festival)
June 12 – Rockness, Scotland
We at Sub Pop Records will be very thoroughly celebrating Record Store Day this year, with a number of releases and events across the country very nearly beyond our meager ability to count. We’ll have limited-edition Record Store Day exclusive releases from Blitzen Trapper, Fleet Foxes and Lower Dens, a free 19-track Sub Pop sampler, and in-store performances by Obits, Low and The Head and the Heart. Plus, the self-titled debut from The Head and the Heart comes out on CD and LP on April 16th as part of Record Store Day. To find a participating store, go here.
Our 2011 label sampler, comes housed in an embossed, die-cut package, and includes 18 art prints with information about each of the artists and a folded poster. Sub Pop would like to give it to you.
1. Daniel Martin Moore “Dark Road” from the album In the Cool of the Day (SP860), available January 2011
2. Aurelio “Tio Sam” from the album Laru Beya (NXA002), available on Next Ambiance January 2011
3. The Twilight Singers “On the Corner” from the album Dynamite Steps (SP844), available February 2011
4. Mogwai “Slight Domestic” from the “Mexican Grand Prix” 7" single on Rock Action Records, available February 2011
5. Papercuts “Do What You Will” from the album Fading Parade (SP885), available February 2011
6. Dum Dum Girls “Wrong Feels Right” from the He Gets Me High EP (SP917), available March 2011
7. J Mascis “Not Enough” from the album Several Shades of Why (SP859), available March 2011
8. Obits “You Gotta Lose” from the album Moody, Standard and Poor (SP857) available March 2011
9. Low “Try to Sleep” from the album C’mon (SP905), available April 2011
10. The Head and the Heart “No One to Let You Down,” previously unreleased. The album The Head and the Heart (SP915) is available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
11. Blitzen Trapper “Maybe Baby” from the “Maybe Baby” 7" single (SP929), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
12. Lower Dens “Deer Knives” from the “Deer Knives” 7" single (SP927), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
13. Fleet Foxes “Helplessness Blues” from the album Helplessness Blues (SP888), available May 2011
14. Chad VanGaalen “Peace on the Rise” from the album Diaper Island (SP871), available May 2011
15. Shabazz Palaces “lost foundling.” This Shabazz Palaces track is not from the album Black Up (SP900), available May 2011
16. Memoryhouse “Sleep Patterns” from The Years EP (SP925), available at some as-yet-undetermined point in 2011
17. Mister Heavenly “Mister Heavenly” from the as-yet-untitled Mister Heavenly debut album (SP926), available August 2011
18. Niki and the Dove “The Fox” From “The Fox” 12" single (SP930), available June 2011
19. Blouse “Shadow” From the “Shadow” 7" single (SP939), available May 2011
Bands Performing in Actual Record Stores The Head and the Heart
Sonic Boom (Ballard), Seattle, WA 3pm (acoustic)
Easy Street (Queen Anne), Seattle, WA 7pm (full band)
Electric Fetus, Minneapolis, MN 4pm
Generation Records, New York, NY time TBC.
Beautiful World Syndicate , Philadelphia 2pm
Niki & the Dove are making their live US debut here in Seattle this Wednesday, April 6th at The Crocodile. Not only that but the whole of the $5 cover charge is going directly to the Red Cross. Good music and a good cause! If you’re with us here in Seattle, come on down. Doors are at 8pm.