These dudes just can’t catch a break it seems. As some of you probably recall, Mogwai had to cancel a series of shows earlier this year due to visa issues. Unfortunately their makeup dates have now been cancelled due to medical issues. We wish them a speedy recovery and please stay tuned for the makeup for the makeup dates to be announced.
Here’s the official word from the bands site:
US DATES: ANNOUNCEMENT
It is with the utmost regret that for medical reasons we have to postpone our American shows this week and cancel the I’ll Be Your Mirror performance. We will announce new dates as soon as possible and apologise for the last minute nature of this announcement.
The dates postponed are:
26 new york, ny, usa – webster hall
27 new york, ny, usa – webster hall
28 philadelphia, pa, usa – union transfer
29 washington, dc, usa – 9.30 club
1 boston, ma, usa – house of blues
2 asbury park, nj, usa – atp ’i’ll be your mirror’
September 13th is filthy with new Sub Pop releases of note. First up, we’ve got the new full-length from Portland’s Blitzen Trapper. It’s called American Goldwing, and it comes with a really great Blitzen Trapper keychain!We’ve also got new EPs from Memoryhouse and Mogwai! There are four new tracks on Mogwai’s Earth Division EP and Memoryhouse’s The Years EP goes all the way to five. All of these great new releases are available on CD or LP, so please feel free to place your orders now; operators are standing by (that’s not actually true).
Also of note!
Blitzen Trapper will be playing a G-D FREE in-store performance at the Queen Anne location of Easy Street Records here in Seattle tonight (Sept. 13th) at 7:00 pm!
Having thus far enjoyed a monumental year, with a sold out world tour and the release of the superb and critically acclaimed 7th studio album, Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will, Mogwai are ready to embark upon another chapter. The band are set to release their Earth Division EP, which carries 4 brand new tracks, highlighting a creative departure from the band’s trademark cinematic mantra of pulverizing, scorched guitar riffage, into a more recontextualised domain of hazy electronic distortion, accompanied by spiky wafts of violins, violas, cellos and double bass and jagged keys.
Earth Division discretely demonstrates another side of Mogwai’s stratospheric level of brilliance with its ever-rotating, hypnotic soundtracks that drift dreamy into force, while absorbing into the paranormal. The EP is a collaboration of barded guitar distortion and haunting piano, which might offer the listener something different, but it still carries the band’s hallmarks and will be available on September 13 in North America via Sub Pop Records and on September 12 via their own label, Rock Sound, in Europe.
Earth Division EP tracklisting, which will be available on CD, 12" vinyl and digitally:
1. Get to France.
2. Hound of Winter.
3. Drunk and Crazy.
4. Does This Always Happen?
Mogwai are: Dominic Aitchison, Stuart Braithwaite, Martin Bulloch, Barry Burns and John Cummings.
Mogwai are headlining at this month’s iTunes Festival at the Roundhouse, London on July 23 and they will also be appearing at the End Of The Road Festival on September 3, which sold out in record time. They are also returning to the US for a few shows in the beginning of September. Click here for a full list of tour dates.
Finally some good Mogwai tour news! They have rescheduled the shows they had to postpone last week. It’s also worth noting that they are playing in Montreal tonight (welcome at last to this side of the pond, gentlemen!) and will be proceeding with the rest of their North American tour as planned.
Here are the new dates for you:
September 26-27 New York, NY Webster Hall
(April 21 tickets will be honored for the September 26 show and April 22 tickets will be honored for the September 27 show.)
September 28 Philadelphia, PA Starlight Ballroom
September 29 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
October 1 Boston, MA House of Blues
(All tickets previously purchased for the Paradise show will be honored for the House of Blues show.)
We at Sub Pop Records will be very thoroughly celebrating Record Store Day this year, with a number of releases and events across the country very nearly beyond our meager ability to count. We’ll have limited-edition Record Store Day exclusive releases from Blitzen Trapper, Fleet Foxes and Lower Dens, a free 19-track Sub Pop sampler, and in-store performances by Obits, Low and The Head and the Heart. Plus, the self-titled debut from The Head and the Heart comes out on CD and LP on April 16th as part of Record Store Day. To find a participating store, go here.
Our 2011 label sampler, comes housed in an embossed, die-cut package, and includes 18 art prints with information about each of the artists and a folded poster. Sub Pop would like to give it to you.
1. Daniel Martin Moore “Dark Road” from the album In the Cool of the Day (SP860), available January 2011
2. Aurelio “Tio Sam” from the album Laru Beya (NXA002), available on Next Ambiance January 2011
3. The Twilight Singers “On the Corner” from the album Dynamite Steps (SP844), available February 2011
4. Mogwai “Slight Domestic” from the “Mexican Grand Prix” 7" single on Rock Action Records, available February 2011
5. Papercuts “Do What You Will” from the album Fading Parade (SP885), available February 2011
6. Dum Dum Girls “Wrong Feels Right” from the He Gets Me High EP (SP917), available March 2011
7. J Mascis “Not Enough” from the album Several Shades of Why (SP859), available March 2011
8. Obits “You Gotta Lose” from the album Moody, Standard and Poor (SP857) available March 2011
9. Low “Try to Sleep” from the album C’mon (SP905), available April 2011
10. The Head and the Heart “No One to Let You Down,” previously unreleased. The album The Head and the Heart (SP915) is available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
11. Blitzen Trapper “Maybe Baby” from the “Maybe Baby” 7" single (SP929), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
12. Lower Dens “Deer Knives” from the “Deer Knives” 7" single (SP927), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
13. Fleet Foxes “Helplessness Blues” from the album Helplessness Blues (SP888), available May 2011
14. Chad VanGaalen “Peace on the Rise” from the album Diaper Island (SP871), available May 2011
15. Shabazz Palaces “lost foundling.” This Shabazz Palaces track is not from the album Black Up (SP900), available May 2011
16. Memoryhouse “Sleep Patterns” from The Years EP (SP925), available at some as-yet-undetermined point in 2011
17. Mister Heavenly “Mister Heavenly” from the as-yet-untitled Mister Heavenly debut album (SP926), available August 2011
18. Niki and the Dove “The Fox” From “The Fox” 12" single (SP930), available June 2011
19. Blouse “Shadow” From the “Shadow” 7" single (SP939), available May 2011
Bands Performing in Actual Record Stores The Head and the Heart
Sonic Boom (Ballard), Seattle, WA 3pm (acoustic)
Easy Street (Queen Anne), Seattle, WA 7pm (full band)
Electric Fetus, Minneapolis, MN 4pm
Generation Records, New York, NY time TBC.
Beautiful World Syndicate , Philadelphia 2pm