Did you know: the MP3s we’re offering for sale on the site of the Fleet Foxes stunning new Sun Giant EP at 256k? It’s the first of our MP3 records that we’ve been able to make available at the higher bitrate.
Lap it up! All 256k bits are belong to you.
We at Sub Pop Records have always thought quite a bit of ourselves. But lately, it’s been getting a little ridiculous, even for us. However, it is our innate ability to cast aside just these sorts of, fortunately fleeting, moments of self-doubt and humility that fills us with such overwhelming pride to announce… THE SUB POP SCHOLARSHIP! Somewhat incredibly, and momentarily ignoring the fact that we have managed to misspell our own name (which consists of two three-letter words…) on one of our own releases, Sub Pop Records is hereby joining the fight against higher education! The relevant details are below…
Sub Pop Records in Seattle, WA is offering a grand total of $13,000 worth of college scholarship money to three eligible high school seniors. There are three scholarships—one for $6,000 and two for $3,500 each. To apply for these scholarships you must be a resident of Washington or Oregon, and a graduating senior on your way to full-time enrollment at an accredited university or college. We are looking for an applicant who is involved and/or interested in music and/or the creative arts in some way.
To apply for these scholarships we would like you to submit an essay, no longer than one page, letting us know about some of the following topics:
* What are you doing in the arts/music field in your community?
* How and/or why did you become interested in artistic outlets?
* Why do you need this scholarship money?
* What are your influences and/or who inspires you?
* Who are some of your favorite bands or artists?
Applicants are encouraged to send digital links and provide hard copies of their artwork along with their essay. However, please be aware that Sub Pop will not return any of this material, so please don’t send originals. Sub Pop will give equal opportunity to all applicants who fit the criteria outlined above. The deadline for applications is May 1, 2008 so please get in touch before then if you are interested.
Please send all submissions and attachments to email@example.com
All physical submissions should be sent to:
Sub Pop Records
2013 4th Ave, 3rd Floor
Seattle, WA 98121
Amount: $6,000 / $3,500 / $3,500 – checks will be made payable to the university or college of the winning applicants’ choice and applied to winning applicants’ tuition.
The mighty Sub Pop is having a HUGE showcase at 2008’s SXSW in Austin this year. How huge is it? Two stages huge!
Our showcase will be on Friday March 14th at Bourbon Rocks and Bourbon Rocks Patio which are both connected, but not really connected. Bourbon Rocks is located at 508 E. 6th St. (6th and Neches) and doors are at 7:15pm.
Here’s how the whole shebang will go down:
BOURBON ROCKS STAGE (inside)
Love As Laughter – 8pm
Sera Cahoone – 9pm
Grand Archives – 10pm
Kelley Stoltz – 11pm
Fleet Foxes – 12am
Blitzen Trapper – 1am
BOURBON ROCKS PATIO STAGE (outside)
The Ruby Suns – 8:30pm
Pissed Jeans – 9:30pm
Handsome Furs – 10:30pm
The Helio Sequence – 11:30pm
No Age – 12:30pm
Also, click HERE for day party info.
To help raise money for Portland’s Buckman Arts Focus Elementary School, The Shins’ James Mercer and Stephen Malkmus will be playing the 18th annual Buckman Art Show & Sell at The Jupiter Hotel on Friday April 11th! You should go!
Full details, including a link to buy tickets, can be found here
UPDATE (3/31/08): This position is now filled! Thanks!
Sadly, we need to replace this guy. Here are the details…
Sub Pop Records is currently seeking a new part-time IT/Help Desk professional at our world headquarters. Based in Seattle, WA the beacon of grunge has become a leading force in the increasingly self-important and intolerable world of indie rock and/or pop.
The duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Support of the Microsoft office suite, mainly Outlook/Exchange.
- Software upgrades, repair and support for a variety of programs including Quickbooks, iTunes, Photoshop, Firefox, antivirus, Filemaker, and more.
- All desktop support questions for a 30 user network.
- Print queue management.
- Computer hardware building, upgrading, and repair.
- Proactive upgrading of network hardware and software.
- Basic level server support for Active Directory, DNS, Domain Controllers and Exchange.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networking principals and network hardware.
- Ability to diagnose, organize and solve problems on the fly.
- Knowledge of relevant media types and their various uses, IE: .wav, .mp3, .mov, .mp4, .avi, .mpeg, .zip, .rar, .tiff, .jpeg, etc.
- Hardware/Software purchasing and implementation of hardware devices such as printers, phones, scanners, BlackBerries, monitors, etc.
- Must be an independent thinking troubleshooter who can self-start all projects.
- Ability to organize and execute a plan from beginning to end with little supervision.
- Ability to learn and use new technology related skills and theories to solve network issues.
- This person will also coordinate IT support and planning with our contracted technology services partner (All Covered).
Our ideal candidate will work 20-30 hours a week on site in our Seattle office 5 days a week for 3-6 hours a day supporting all office desktop support needs.
This position will be paid hourly, depending on experience, and will include opportunities for ongoing professional technical education, paid for by Sub Pop.
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
As close to quarterly as we’re able to manage, we here at Sub Pop have the very great privilege of discreetly siphoning money from the company coffers to far more deserving, industrious and admirable organizations. In light of the fact that we’re here crowing about it, “discreet” may be the wrong word. But, the point here is somewhat less a matter of patting ourselves on the back (although, yes, we enjoy that as well), and more a matter of maybe bringing some of these organizations to your attention. They are all likely more deserving, industrious and admirable than you too.
Here’s where you can read all of the details on this stuff, including info on previous recipients, etc.
And then, proudly, here are the most recent additions:
The return of the Sub Pop Loser Scholarship for 2008
First Place School
Hollow Earth Radio
Northwest Film Forum
Rock ‘n’ Roll Camp for Girls