2011 has been an amazing year for Seattle’s The Head and the Heart. Since the release of their self-titled debut (which to date has scanned more than 70,000 copies in the US) the band has been touring non-stop, playing shows with Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket, Iron and Wine, Dr. Dog, and The Decemberists. They are currently on their first headlining tour with more than half of the shows SOLDOUT far in advance, including a 2-night stand at New York’s, Bowery Ballroom. The band has also performed to jam-packed crowds at Sasquatch, Bonnaroo, Newport Folk Festival, Seattle’s Capitol Hill Block Party and, most recently, the Austin City Limits Music Festival.
And this week The Head and the Heart’s “Lost in My Mind” is the #1 single in the country at Triple A radio. This comes 24 weeks after entering the chart and makes The Head and the Heart the first artist to reach #1 at the format with a debut single since Florence + The Machine’s “Dog Days Are Over” this past January.
Continuing to tour across the US through October, followed by dates in the UK and Europe in November and Australia at the end of the year, The Head and the Heart will remain incredibly busy for the foreseeable future. On October 28th the band will play on CBS’s Late Show with David Letterman. And, in addition, the legendary TV music program Austin City Limits has announced that The Head and the Heart will be part of its 37th season on PBS. This season marks the first ACL television season filmed entirely in the show’s new venue ACL Live at The Moody Theater. The performance will air in early 2012.
The Head and the Heart on the road
Sep 24 Jefferson Theater, Charlottesville, VA
Sep 25 Ukie Club, Philadelphia, PA
Sep 26 Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY
Sep 27 Bowery Ballroom, The, New York City, NY
Sep 28 Bowery Ballroom, The, New York City, NY
Sep 30 Royale (MA), Boston, MA
Oct 01 Town Ballroom, Buffalo, NY
Oct 02 Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland, OH
Oct 03 Calvin College Fine Arts Center, Grand Rapids, MI
Oct 04 Metro, Chicago, IL
Oct 06 Turner Hall, Milwaukee, WI
Oct 07 Majestic Theater (WI), Madison, WI
Oct 08 Cedar Cultural Centre, Minneapolis, MN
Oct 09 Waiting Room, Omaha, NE
Oct 10 Gothic Theater (CO), Denver , CO
Oct 13 The Music Box – Los Angeles, CA
Oct 14 The House of Blues – San Diego, CA
Oct 15 The Independent – San Francisco, CA
Oct 16 Treasure Island Music Festival – San Francisco, CA
Oct 18 Wow Hall – Eugene, OR
Oct 19 Crystal Ballroom – Portland, OR
Oct 20 The Commodore Ballroom – Vancouver, BC
Oct 22 Key Arena – Seattle, WA
In what even we (humble, modest simpletons that we are) recognize as a new personal best, both The Head and the Heart and Fleet Foxes will be appearing on the electronic babysitting machine this week! And, both of these appearances will be taking place on the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon program of very high standards and taste.
On Wednesday, May 18th, The Head and the Heart will perform “Lost in My Mind” from their recently released and also self-titled and also debut album The Head and the Heart!
And then, on Friday, May 20th, Fleet Foxes will perform the song “Sim Sala Bim” from their even more recently released though neither self-titled nor debut (it’s their second) album Helplessness Blues!
It’s just this kind of audacious media exposure that has afforded us the mid-level renown we’re forever prattling on about, and we very much hope that you will tune in.
Plus! If you are in NY and would like to attend either or both of these sure-to-be-historic performances on the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon show, here is how you can enter to have a chance to do that very thing…
On May 18th, 2011 The Head and the Heart will be performing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Here is where you come in…
How would you like a chance to be close to The Head and the Heart’s performance on the show?
Click on the link below and you will be directed to our “Band Bench” Sweepstakes entry form. Enter for a chance to win seats on our band benches and an opportunity to surround the stage during The Head and the Heart’s performance.
Please make sure you include the following band code: HEA, in your entry form.
The Head and the Heart released their self-titled full length on April 16th, which also marked the 3rd Annual Record Store Day. To commemorate this momentous occasion the band performed two in-stores in their hometown of Seattle, WA. The first, was an acoustic set at Sonic Boom Records, and the second, a fully plugged in jammer at Queen Anne’s Easy Street Records. Working closely with the folks at KEXP to capture these performances we now present you an insider look into a day in the life of Seattle’s own The Head and the Heart. Click here to watch the first of a series of segments showcasing the bands foot stomping performances and day to day chatter.
But wait! There’s more, as it is time to set your DVRS, as The Head and the Heart will be performing on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon on May 18th. Click here for more information on the show.
The band, who have been on the road since February and have no plans to slow down anytime soon, are currently playing shows on the West Coast meeting up with ex Sub Popper/dear friend, Iron & Wine in late Mate/early June and Portland’s, The Decemberists in mid July, with a performance at this years Sasquatch Music Festival in late May.
Seattle’s own The Head and the Heart’s self-titled full-length is officially available on CD/LP today, April 16, which also coincides with the 3rd Annual Record Store Day. To commemorate this momentous occasion (and indie retail holiday), the band will perform two in-stores in their hometown. The first, an acoustic set at 3:00 pm at the Ballard Sonic Boom, and the second a full band performance at Queen Anne’s Easy Street Records at 7:00 pm.
But wait! There’s more…
The band will join guests Reese Witherspoon and Kevin McHale to make their television debut April 21st on Conan. They will perform their latest single Lost in My Mind which is available to download for free now!
We at Sub Pop Records will be very thoroughly celebrating Record Store Day this year, with a number of releases and events across the country very nearly beyond our meager ability to count. We’ll have limited-edition Record Store Day exclusive releases from Blitzen Trapper, Fleet Foxes and Lower Dens, a free 19-track Sub Pop sampler, and in-store performances by Obits, Low and The Head and the Heart. Plus, the self-titled debut from The Head and the Heart comes out on CD and LP on April 16th as part of Record Store Day. To find a participating store, go here.
Our 2011 label sampler, comes housed in an embossed, die-cut package, and includes 18 art prints with information about each of the artists and a folded poster. Sub Pop would like to give it to you.
1. Daniel Martin Moore “Dark Road” from the album In the Cool of the Day (SP860), available January 2011
2. Aurelio “Tio Sam” from the album Laru Beya (NXA002), available on Next Ambiance January 2011
3. The Twilight Singers “On the Corner” from the album Dynamite Steps (SP844), available February 2011
4. Mogwai “Slight Domestic” from the “Mexican Grand Prix” 7" single on Rock Action Records, available February 2011
5. Papercuts “Do What You Will” from the album Fading Parade (SP885), available February 2011
6. Dum Dum Girls “Wrong Feels Right” from the He Gets Me High EP (SP917), available March 2011
7. J Mascis “Not Enough” from the album Several Shades of Why (SP859), available March 2011
8. Obits “You Gotta Lose” from the album Moody, Standard and Poor (SP857) available March 2011
9. Low “Try to Sleep” from the album C’mon (SP905), available April 2011
10. The Head and the Heart “No One to Let You Down,” previously unreleased. The album The Head and the Heart (SP915) is available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
11. Blitzen Trapper “Maybe Baby” from the “Maybe Baby” 7" single (SP929), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
12. Lower Dens “Deer Knives” from the “Deer Knives” 7" single (SP927), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
13. Fleet Foxes “Helplessness Blues” from the album Helplessness Blues (SP888), available May 2011
14. Chad VanGaalen “Peace on the Rise” from the album Diaper Island (SP871), available May 2011
15. Shabazz Palaces “lost foundling.” This Shabazz Palaces track is not from the album Black Up (SP900), available May 2011
16. Memoryhouse “Sleep Patterns” from The Years EP (SP925), available at some as-yet-undetermined point in 2011
17. Mister Heavenly “Mister Heavenly” from the as-yet-untitled Mister Heavenly debut album (SP926), available August 2011
18. Niki and the Dove “The Fox” From “The Fox” 12" single (SP930), available June 2011
19. Blouse “Shadow” From the “Shadow” 7" single (SP939), available May 2011
Bands Performing in Actual Record Stores The Head and the Heart
Sonic Boom (Ballard), Seattle, WA 3pm (acoustic)
Easy Street (Queen Anne), Seattle, WA 7pm (full band)
Electric Fetus, Minneapolis, MN 4pm
Generation Records, New York, NY time TBC.
Beautiful World Syndicate , Philadelphia 2pm