If you pre-order I Will Be by March 30th, you’ll receive a reissued CDR of her out-of-print Zoo Music EP, featuring 5 early Dum Dum Girls tracks. You’ll also get Dum Dum Girls stickers and probably some other stickers too. OH! I almost forgot—if you pre-order the record right this moment, you can also listen to it—RIGHT THIS MOMENT—via a link to a full album stream. So those three reasons, plus the 11 amazing reasons on the record (the songs, duh) equals 14 reasons to go make a yes decision to the as-yet-unspoken question which is really the whole point of this email: “Do you want to pre-order I Will Be right now?” We’d really like to think you do.
Turn this opportunity yes.
Pre-order I Will Be right here.
Download the “Jail La La” MP3 for free here.
Buy the “Jail La La” 7” single here.
IN HONOR OF THIS SPECIAL DAY, SUB POP RECORDS WILL RELEASE A MARVELOUS RANGE OF MUSIC PRODUCTS, AVAILABLE ONLY IN PARTICIPATING RECORD STORES
Record Store Day In-Store Performances by Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba, No Age, Male Bonding & Dum Dum Girls
Originally conceived in 2007 as a celebration of the unique culture surrounding over 700 independently owned record stores in the USA, and hundreds of similar stores internationally, the first Record Store Day took place on April 19, 2008. Now celebrated the third Saturday every April, it’s the one day each year that all of the independently owned record stores come together with artists and labels to celebrate the art of music. We at Sub Pop Records have put together a whole raft of releases (seven in all!) to help entice people into record stores to enjoy the many pleasures offered there. Each destined for future collector’s item status, the Sub Pop Record Store Day 2010 series of releases is sure to appeal to the minor OCD tendencies of every true music enthusiast. To find a participating store, go here.
FOR: RECORD STORE DAY 2010
FROM: SUB POP, WITH LOVE
Beach House “Zebra” 12” (sp877)
The “Zebra” 12” features 2 new tracks (“The Arrangement” and “Baby”) and 2 alternate takes on songs from the popular 2010 Teen Dream album (a UK radio edit of “Zebra” and the Cough Syrup remix of “10 Mile Stereo”). Available now: Beach House’s Teen Dream SP845, CD+DVD/2xLP+DVD.
1. Zebra (UK Radio Edit)
2. The Arrangement
2. 10 Mile Stereo (Cough Syrup Remix)
The Album Leaf “There Is a Wind” 12” (sp878)
The “There Is a Wind” 12” features 2 new tracks (“Landing in Snow” and “Resonations”) and 2 alternate takes on songs from the popular 2010 A Chorus of Storytellers album (an acoustic version of “There Is a Wind” and the Jamuel Saxon sunburnt remix of “Falling from the Sun”). Also available now: The Album Leaf’s A Chorus of Storytellers SP805, CD/2xLP.
1. There Is a Wind (acoustic)
2. Landing in Snow
2. Falling from the Sun (Jamuel Saxon sunburnt remix)
Dum Dum Girls / Male Bonding 7” (sp876)
Two brand-new and exclusive tracks for Record Store Day 2010, one each from LA’s Dum Dum Girls and London’s Male Bonding. Both bands have debut albums out this spring on Sub Pop. Also available now: Dum Dum Girls’ I Will Be SP840, CD/LP. Available May 11th: Male Bonding’s Nothing Hurts SP854, CD/LP
Side A: Dum Dum Girls “Pay for Me”
Side AA: Male Bonding “Before It’s Gone”
Happy Birthday 7” (sp874)
Two brand-new and exclusive tracks for Record Store Day 2010 from Kyle “King Tuff” Thomas’ Happy Birthday. Both of these tracks, like those of Happy Birthday’s self-titled March 2010 debut album, were recorded and mixed at Kyle’s home studio. Available March 16th: Happy Birthday’s Happy Birthday SP850 CD/LP.
Side A: “Shampoo”
Side B: “Alien”
Soundgarden “Hunted Down” 7” Reissue (sp12a)
This reissue of a Sub Pop classic was arranged specially for Record Store Day. “Hunted Down” was released in June 1987 as the band’s first single and was later available on Screaming Life. This single is pressed on translucent orange vinyl. The original, now a Soundgarden collector’s item, was pressed on blue vinyl.
Side A: “Hunted Down”
Side B: “Nothing to Say”
CocoRosie “Lemonade" 7” (sp884)
The A-side to this limited-edition single is an edit of one of the stand-out tracks from the new CocoRosie album Grey Oceans and the B-side is the band’s cover of the Beach Boys’ classic “Surfer Girl.” Grey Oceans, CocoRosie’s Sub Pop debut (and fourth full-length album overall) will be released on May 11, 2010. Watch a ““Smokey Taboo” trailer from Grey Oceans.
Side A: “Lemonade”
Side B: “Surfer Girl”
SP20: Casual Nostalgia Fest CD (sp879)
We at Sub Pop Records celebrated our 20th anniversary in 2008 with, among other things, a 2-day music festival July 12th and 13th at Marymoor Park, somewhat unimaginatively called SP20. We’ve collected here some of our favorite performances from the SP20 festival. Sub Pop will be donating all of the profits from the sale of this CD to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund
1. Green River: “Leech”
2. Wolf Parade: “Fine Young Cannibals”
3. The Vaselines: “Dying for It”
4. Obits: “Run”
5. Les Thugs: “Dirty White Race”
6. Eric’s Trip: “Smother”
7. Beachwood Sparks: “You Take the Gold”
8. Blitzen Trapper: “Furr”
9. Flight of the Conchords: “Carol Brown”
10. Iron & Wine: “Woman King”
11. Constantines: “Why I Didn’t Like August ‘93”
12. Seaweed “Baggage”
13. Grand Archives: “Dig That Crazy Grave”
14. Low: “Silver Rider”
15. The Helio Sequence: “Lately”
16. Kinski: “The Wives of Artie Shaw”
17. Pissed Jeans: “Caught Licking Leather”
18. Mudhoney: “The Open Mind”
19. Comets on Fire: “Dogwood Rust”
Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba at Waterloo Records in Austin
Male Bonding & Dum Dum Girls at Origami Records in Los Angeles
No Age at Sweat Records in Miami
Obits at Generation Records in New York CANCELED—SORRY!
Happy March, y’all! I am so glad to be done with February. It seems like such a bogus month what with its handful of days. I like a month with all 31 days. A month that knows it could stop at 30, but spits in the face of slowing down. Also, when there are lots of days in a month we can release more records more of the time. For instance, March 2 we release Fight Softly by The Ruby Suns on CD/CP, and the little buddies next door, aka Hardly Art, release Double Jointer by those crazy Brooklynites Golden Triangle. Both are neat. If you pre-order Fight Softly by March 2nd, you’ll get $2 off the CD or LP! Get them here and here.
Mid-March sees the release of the self-titled album by Happy Birthday which is the new band from Kyle of King Tuff and Witch, etc. Pre-order this bad boy and you get $2 off the CD or LP + probably a sticker + for sure a newsprint poster! This record is one of my faves and I’m very excited to see them play at SXSW this year, which brings me to my next point: we’re doing a SXSW showcase with Hardly Art on March 18th at the Galaxy Room and you should certainly stop by if you happen to be in town. Check out more here. Also, we’re putting out a 7” by King Khan and Pat Meteor on the 16th. Get that guy here.
March 30th is two things—one, it is the day before my soul-crushing 35th birthday, and two, it’s the release of the long player (CD/LP) from Dum Dum Girls called I Will Be. Pre-order this record by March 30th and get a five-song CDR of the first Dum Dum Girls release on Zoo Music Records, owned by Dee Dee and her old man. (Husband old man, not dad old man.) While you’re at it you should grab the new Unnatural Helpers 7” for their killer summer jam track called “Sunshine/Pretty Girls” out on Hardly Art—it’s good for beer drinking and dancing.
The winner for last month’s prize of new releases is Erick Roff of Seattle and it was chosen by our pal Nick Heliotis over at Hardly Art, purveyors of music also. Please stop by Hardly Art’s webspace and look around. *To win this month’s new releases please tell me, in the comments section, what song you would use in place of the ol’ happy birthday standard when/if I were to outlaw it.
At least that’s what the Google translate tool told me that the title of this post should be. Looks like growing up on the border of Mexico and 8 years of Spanish class didn’t work out so good! Anyway, Male Bonding are not only coming over for a bunch of dates with Vivian Girls, Dum Dum Girls, the Soft Pack and SXSW but they’re also going to play the Todd P festival in Monterrey! The line up for the MtyMX Fest is pretty killer! More info here.
Don’t forget your sunblock.
Sub Pop and Hardly Art SXSW Showcase 2010!
Avi Buffalo, Ben Sollee & Daniel Martin Moore, Dum Dum Girls, Happy Birthday, Jaill, Male Bonding, and The Ruby Suns will all be heading down to Austin this March for the 2010 South by Southwest music festival/conference/opportunity to eat BBQ.
As you can tell by our snazzy flyer, we will once again be partnering with our good friends Hardly Art on a showcase to, one can only hope, end all showcases.
You should really go.
Sub Pop and Hardly Art SXSW Showcase 2010
Thursday, March 18th
at the Galaxy Room
508 E. 6th Street
9PM Happy Birthday
10PM Male Bonding
11PM Avi Buffalo
12AM Dum Dum Girls
1AM The Ruby Suns
830PM Special guest Woven Bones
930PM The Moondoggies
1030PM Le Loup
1130PM The Dutchess and the Duke
1230AM Golden Triangle
Also on Thursday, March 18th Ben Sollee & Daniel Martin Moore will be playing at the Central Presbyterian Church at 730PM!
It’s that time of year again where we get to tell you our favorite things from the year 2009. There were going to be some novelty entries like “Top 10 Rudest People in the Office” and “Top 10 Top 10 Lists” but then I realized that these lists are only marginally interesting anyway, so why beat a dead horse by throwing in a bunch of office in-jokes. Anyhow, I’ve taken it upon myself to offer up a package of all of Sub Pop’s 2009 full length releases to a random lucky commenter who adds his or her very own Top 10 list in the comments section, fancy bullet points not required. (Bonus points to whoever comes up with the Top 10 Form of Paying Attention Columns of 2009. Just sayin’.) It’s been a nice year, see y’all in 2010!!!! *UPDATE! WE’VE PICKED A WINNER AS OF 12/15/09. THANKS FOR PLAYING!*
- maserati/ zombi split
- alela diane to be still
- big business mind the drift
- elton john tumbleweed connection
- ben nichols the last pale light in the west
- black moth super rainbow eating us
- sleepy eyes of death dark signals
- fungi girls seafaring pyramids
- wilco ashes of american flags
- the sound all fall down
- no age losing feeling
- mark sultan hold on
- Blues Control Local Color
- Fuck Buttons Tarot Sport
- Pissed Jeans King of Jeans (can’t help it)
- Akron Family Set ‘Em Wild, Set ‘Em Free
- Moritz Von Oswald Trio Vertical Ascent
- VA 5 Years of Hyperdub
- Demdike Stare Symbiosis
- Black to Comm Alphabet 1968
- Reigning Sound Love & Curses
- Disrupt The Bass Has Left the Building
- Phosphorescent To Willie
- Abner Jay The True Story of Abner Jay
- The Feelies The Good Earth (re-issue)
- V/A Mata La Pena (Mississippi Records world music comp!)
- Girls – Album
- Kurt Vile Childish Prodigy
- Neil Young Archives – Volume 1: 1963-1972
- Strange Boys The Strange Boys and Girls Club (new favorite as of this week)
- Michael Hurley Ida Con Snock
- Fletcher C. Johnson – He hasn’t released a full length, but I may as well count this as an album of the year for me based on how many times I’ve listened to his songs on Myspace
- Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavillion
- Girls Album
- Devandra Banhart What Will Be
- Sonny & the Sunsets Tomorrow is Alright
- Best Coast (I liked it all)
- Vetiver Tight Knit
- Woods Songs of Shame
- Fruit Bats Ruminant Band
- Comet Gain Broken Record Players
- Bill Callahan Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle
- Stone Roses Stone Roses Reissue
- Chef Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… Pt 2
- Vijay Iyer Historicity (probably the best record of 2009, ya know, imho & all)
- quitting caffeine at doctor’s orders & living to tell about it
- moving to an apartment without mice
- car totaled [by a nun?! -Ed.] (no injuries, it was parked/unoccupied; all considered this is probably the best thing that happened to me in 2009)
- reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes; changed up my whole scene
- discovered that I like bleu cheese (I’d been trying, this year it worked)
- getting back on my bicycle (not really related to totaled car but it helps)
- discovering the television show MI-5 (called Spooks in the rest of the world)
- seeing early Melvins open for Green River and “Houdini”-era Melvins
- Spider Spider (Thriftstore)
- The Beets Spit in the Face of People That Don’t Want To Be Cool (Captured Tracks)
- Strange Boys Strange Boys and Girls Club (In the Red)
- Reigning Sound Love and Curses (In the Red)
- Eat Skull Wild and Inside (Siltbreeze)
- Obits I Blame You (Sub Pop)
- Talbot Tagora Lessons in the Woods or a City (Hardly Art)
- Kurt Vile Childish Prodigy (Matador)
- Jacuzzi Boys No Season (Florida’s Dying)
- Moon Duo Killing Time EP (Sacred Bones)
- Nobunny Raw Romance cassette (Burger)
- There were/are so many more though… Intelligence, Dan Melchior, Thee Oh Sees put out a few (many) full lengths that I can get behind as well. I also want to throw in Christmas Island and the Dutchess and the Duke, too. There were a ton of great albums out in 2009!!! I’d also like to add Jason Smith stage diving during the Mummies while wrapped up in toilet paper.
- Talbot Tagora Lessons in the Woods or a City
- The Beets Spit in the face of people who don’t want to be cool
- Christmas Winter 7”
- The Strange Boys Strange Boys and Girls Club
- Thee Oh Sees Help / Thee Hounds of Foggy Notion / Dog Poison / Sub Pop Singles Club 7” / Singles comp / playing outside on the patio at the Funhouse / etc
- The Intelligence Fake Surfers
- Phosphorescent To Willie
- Audacity Power Drowning
- Dum Dum Girls Longhair 7”
- Wooden Shjips Dos / Contact EP
- Marc Sultan Hold On 7”
- Love Tan Miscellaneous Night Feelings
- Children’s Hospital S/T
- German Measles Wild EP
- Honorable Mentions – Arthur & Yu and the Moondoggies collaboration over the spring / summer…Rosalie Sorrels If I Could Be The Rain (not a new record but I discovered this 1967 LP this year and probably listened to it more than anything else in 2009 — seriously)… Muswell Hillbillies by the Kinks (for my money their best record and sorely overlooked, at least by me until this year…)…Familiars reunion show at the Funhouse… Party Weekend 09 – Labor Day weekend when Davila 666, Ty Segal and the Beets were all in town. That was so much fun
- mika miko we be xuxa
- thomas function in the valley of the sickness
- spits school’s out
- vivian girls everything goes wrong
- paul baribeau new demo tape
- Thee Oh Sees help
- seeing where the wild things are on mushrooms
- Quintron on Halloween in New Orleans
- Riding my bike from my living room to California
- our new haus
- Chuy Pancakes the dog
- Coconut Coolouts/Personal & the Pizzas/Tyvek summer tour
- Loan modification success
- All my 2009 baby friends (Billie, Paloma, Oscar)
- Being married for one year
- The Oh Sees Help
- Dutchess & the Duke Sunrise/Sunset
- Obits I Blame You
- Lots and lots of good shows, records, and friends
- Seeing Tyvek play the Paramount
- The Mummies and The Brentwoods at Budget Rock
(Top 10 Sub Pop things other than good records)
- Baby Billie!
- Tony and Sonya’s wedding!
- Dean and Lauren’s engagement
- The introduction of Chuy Pancakes
- Our amazing Sub Pop scholarship winners
- Lavaman with Carly
- Fleet Foxes on SNL!!
- Mudhoney in Warsaw
- Going to Willie Nelson’s house with Band of Horses!
- Willie biting the mean mailman
(Songs…..there are more than 10. Sorry.)
- Memory Tapes “Bicycle”
- Dum Dum Girls “Hey Sis”
- The Big Pink “Count Backwards from Ten”
- Mayfair Set “Desert Fun”
- The Horrors “Scarlet Fields”
- Animal Collective “In the Flowers”
- Crystal Stilts “The Dazzled”
- Micachu and the Shapes “Calculator”
- Pains of Being Pure At Heart “Higher Than the Stars”
- The XX “Crystalised”
- No Age “You’re a Target”
- Male Bonding “Pumpkin”
- Girls “Morning Light”
- Real Estate “Fake Blues”
- Best Coast “When I’m With You”
- Atlas Sound “An Orchid”
- Grizzly Bear “Two Weeks”
- Veronica Falls “Found Love In a Graveyard”
- The Link Light Rail (yes I’m the only one in the office benefiting from this thing)
- Flying Squirrel Pizza
- High waist jeans (bye bye muffin top!)
- Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 7 (the Seinfeld reunion is to die for)
- Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavilion
- East Bound and Down
- Cougar Town (Courtney Cox is hilarious)
- Success with Ref 71 (we won!)
- Modern Family
- Le Loupe Family
- Flight of the Conchords Season 2 / the Australian episode
- New songs: Woods “Rain On”, Fuck Buttons “Flight of the Feathered Serpent”, Ganglians “Valient Brave”, Animal Collective “My Girls”, Demdike Stare “Jannisary”.
- Reissues – Stone Roses, Beatles reissues and Beatles Rockband, The Feelies, Neil Young – Archives, Ghana Special, Hyperdub comp, Nirvana Live at Reading CD/DVD.
- Live – Pissed Jeans at the Sub Pop CMJ Showcase – eyes and ears, heavier than Andre the Giant.
- Boomkat – A fantastic British online music store. It’s mainly electronic music but there is some other cool stuff on there too.
- Old stuff I’ve been excited about – Folky (Pentangle Jack Orion (instrumental)/Faro Annie, Roy Harper – Stormcock, Bert Jansch – Jack Orion) Dubby (Jacob Miller and Fatman Riddim Section – Heavyweight Dub/Killer Dub, King Tubby and Roots Radics – Dangerous Dub) Garnett Mimms – As Long As I Have You, Sharon Tandy – Hold On, Steve Reich and Phillip Glass.
- “Hot” records that were actually really good – The XX, Camera Obscura, Flaming Lips, Wild Beasts…..
- Snorkelling: It’s the best, get in there.
- Anvil: The Story of Anvil
- Great new Sub Pop jams for 2010. Beach House “10 Mile Stereo”, Happy Birthday “Subliminal Message”.
- Places I liked to eat in Seattle in 2009: Bakery Noveau, Buddha Rushka, Monsoon, Matt’s in the Market, Senor Moose, Skillet, Circa, St Andrews Bar and Grill, Flying Squirrel, Taqueria La Fondita #2 and Tacos Guaymas.
Top Ten Things I Discovered this year that other people have know about for thirty years:
- Ike Turner & The Kings of Rhythm A Black Man’s Soul Song : “Philly Dog”
- The Feelies Crazy Rhythms Song: “Moscow Nights”
- Motörhead On Parole Song: “On Parole”
- Roxy Music Country Life Song: “Prairie Rose”
(Re-embracing my love of NWOBHM especially)
- UFO Strangers in the Night Song: “Let it Roll”
- Small Faces Deeram LP Song: “Own Up Time”
- V/A Progressivo Italiano Song: Quella Vecchia Locanda “Il Cieco”
- Serge Gainsbourg Histoire De Melody Nelson Song: “Melody”
- Mott The Hoople Mad Shadows Song: “Thunderbuck Ram”
- Bobby Gentry Song: “Fancy”
- Rusted Shut Hot Sex EP
- Mark Sultan “Hold On” b/w “I Hear a New World”
- Spider Spider
- Tiny Vipers Life on Earth
- Tyvek & Personal and the Pizzas at many, many shows
- King Tuff at the Longbranch Inn, SXSW
- Happy Birthday at the Silent Barn
- The Hunches Exit Dreams
- Dum Dum Girls C/T EP
- Pissed Jeans King of Jeans
- Thee Oh Sees Help
- Charles Albright “I’m on Drugs”
- Beyond the Implode Atmosphere EP
- Getting engaged