And then there is also this third pile of evidence:
Starting next Wednesday, August 3rd, Chad begins a European tour that runs through August 20th and takes him to the UK, Germany, Sweden, Germany, Croatia, the Czezh Republic, and probably some other countries that I am right now neglecting to include here because this list is already kind of long! Here are all of Chad’s confirmed tour dates. It is worth noting here that he will also be doing some as-yet-unannounced touring on the west coast of the United States in October of this year.
Chad VanGaalen is a wildly talented artist, illustrator and animator from Calgary. And on May 17th, we at Sub Pop Records have the very great privilege of releasing Chad’s new full-length record, Diaper Island, on CD (round, small-ish), LP (also round, bigger) and digitally (invisible). With this new album, Chad has distilled his approach, producing his most sonically cohesive album to date, and the closest thing he has done to a rock album. As with all of his albums, Chad is single-handedly responsible for all of the artistic efforts that went into Diaper Island—from album art to music videos and everything in between. The new video Chad made for the song “Peace on the Rise” (click title to watch) is ample supporting evidence for the “wildly talented” claim above. And, because he is something of an overachiever, Chad drew a series of items into the video for you to find and, having found them all, enter yourself for the chance to win a totally awesome Chad VanGaalen prize pack which will include a copy of Diaper Island on both CD and limited edition green vinyl (only 300 pressed) as well as a shirt hand drawn by Chad himself.
Click here to watch the “Peace on the Rise” video AND enter Chad’s contest.
Although it borders upon cruel to even mention this since they are now ALLGONE, we gave the first 200 people to pre-order Diaper Island from subpop.com a free 5″ × 6.5″, limited-edition, hand-numbered art print. This print features art from Diaper Island and Chad has drawn something unique on each of these. You can see what these look like here. That was for the first 200 people to order this record–those are now gone. But! Everyone who orders Diaper Island on CD or LP (and, remember, the LP will come with a coupon for a free, high-quality mp3 download of the album) will receive free Chad VanGaalen Diaper Island stickers and instant access to a stream of the album in its entirety, providing access to hear the record in the time betwixt ordering and receiving.
Chad has also announced a few US shows in June, with more dates promised in the not too terribly distant future.
Chad VanGaalen on the road:
Jun 19 Castaways, Ithaca, NY
Jun 20 Rock and Roll Hotel, Washington, DC
Jun 21 Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY
Jun 22 T.T.the Bear’s, Cambridge, MA
Jun 23 Il Motore, Montreal, QC
Jun 25 Sled Island Festival, Calgary, Canada
Click here for more information on Chad VanGaalen.
Chad VanGaalen is a wildly talented artist, illustrator and animator from Calgary. And on May 17th, we at Sub Pop Records have the very great privilege of releasing Diaper Island, Chad’s fourth full-length record for the label. With this new album, Chad has distilled his approach, producing his most sonically cohesive album to date, and the closest thing he has done to a rock album. As with all of his albums, Chad is single-handedly responsible for all of the artistic efforts that went into Diaper Island—from album art to music videos and everything in between. No doubt you see what we were talking about with that “wildly talented” stuff at the beginning of this paragraph. Because we are such great fans of Chad’s art, in all of its manifestations, we’ll be giving the first 200 people to pre-order Diaper Island from subpop.com a free 5” x 6.5”, limited-edition, hand-numbered art print. This print will feature art from Diaper Island and Chad has promised to write or draw something on each of these. That’s for the first 200 people to order this record – when those are gone, that’s it. But! Everyone who pre-orders Diaper Island on CD or LP (and, remember, the LP will come with a coupon for a free, high-quality mp3 download of the album) will receive a couple of free stickers and instant access to a stream of the album in its entirely, providing access to hear the record in the time betwixt ordering and receiving. All of this for you, from us, with affection bordering on the inappropriate.
We at Sub Pop Records will be very thoroughly celebrating Record Store Day this year, with a number of releases and events across the country very nearly beyond our meager ability to count. We’ll have limited-edition Record Store Day exclusive releases from Blitzen Trapper, Fleet Foxes and Lower Dens, a free 19-track Sub Pop sampler, and in-store performances by Obits, Low and The Head and the Heart. Plus, the self-titled debut from The Head and the Heart comes out on CD and LP on April 16th as part of Record Store Day. To find a participating store, go here.
Our 2011 label sampler, comes housed in an embossed, die-cut package, and includes 18 art prints with information about each of the artists and a folded poster. Sub Pop would like to give it to you.
1. Daniel Martin Moore “Dark Road” from the album In the Cool of the Day (SP860), available January 2011
2. Aurelio “Tio Sam” from the album Laru Beya (NXA002), available on Next Ambiance January 2011
3. The Twilight Singers “On the Corner” from the album Dynamite Steps (SP844), available February 2011
4. Mogwai “Slight Domestic” from the “Mexican Grand Prix” 7" single on Rock Action Records, available February 2011
5. Papercuts “Do What You Will” from the album Fading Parade (SP885), available February 2011
6. Dum Dum Girls “Wrong Feels Right” from the He Gets Me High EP (SP917), available March 2011
7. J Mascis “Not Enough” from the album Several Shades of Why (SP859), available March 2011
8. Obits “You Gotta Lose” from the album Moody, Standard and Poor (SP857) available March 2011
9. Low “Try to Sleep” from the album C’mon (SP905), available April 2011
10. The Head and the Heart “No One to Let You Down,” previously unreleased. The album The Head and the Heart (SP915) is available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
11. Blitzen Trapper “Maybe Baby” from the “Maybe Baby” 7" single (SP929), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
12. Lower Dens “Deer Knives” from the “Deer Knives” 7" single (SP927), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
13. Fleet Foxes “Helplessness Blues” from the album Helplessness Blues (SP888), available May 2011
14. Chad VanGaalen “Peace on the Rise” from the album Diaper Island (SP871), available May 2011
15. Shabazz Palaces “lost foundling.” This Shabazz Palaces track is not from the album Black Up (SP900), available May 2011
16. Memoryhouse “Sleep Patterns” from The Years EP (SP925), available at some as-yet-undetermined point in 2011
17. Mister Heavenly “Mister Heavenly” from the as-yet-untitled Mister Heavenly debut album (SP926), available August 2011
18. Niki and the Dove “The Fox” From “The Fox” 12" single (SP930), available June 2011
19. Blouse “Shadow” From the “Shadow” 7" single (SP939), available May 2011
Bands Performing in Actual Record Stores The Head and the Heart
Sonic Boom (Ballard), Seattle, WA 3pm (acoustic)
Easy Street (Queen Anne), Seattle, WA 7pm (full band)
Electric Fetus, Minneapolis, MN 4pm
Generation Records, New York, NY time TBC.
Beautiful World Syndicate , Philadelphia 2pm
“Not Enough” video + song trivia: Chad VanGaalen is the mastermind behind this great video and none other than Ben Bridwell of Band of Horses can be heard singing with J Mascis on the song. That’s a Sub Pop three-fer-one right there!