Father John Misty returns with Chloë and the Next 20th Century, his fifth long-player and first new material since the release of God’s Favorite Customer in 2018. Watch the official video for “Funny Girl,” the album’s first offering, directed by Nicholas Ashe Bateman.
Chloë and the Next 20th Century was written and recorded August through December 2020 and features arrangements by Drew Erickson.
The album sees Tillman and producer/multi-instrumentalist Jonathan Wilson resume their longtime collaboration, as well as Dave Cerminara’s return as engineer and mixer. Basic tracks were recorded at Wilson’s Five Star Studios with strings, brass, and woodwinds recorded at United Recordings in a session featuring Dan Higgins and Wayne Bergeron, among others.
Chloë and The Next 20th Century includes the singles “Funny Girl,” “Q4,” “Goodbye Mr. Blue,” and “Kiss Me (I Loved You),” and will be available April 8th, 2022 worldwide from Sub Pop and in Europe from Bella Union.
2. Goodbye Mr. Blue
3. Kiss Me (I Loved You)
4. (Everything But) Her Love
5. Buddy’s Rendezvous
7. Olvidado (Otro Momento)
8. Funny Girl
9. Only a Fool
10. We Could Be Strangers
11. The Next 20th Century
All formats of Chloë and the Next 20th Century are available for preorder now from Sub Pop, Bella Union (UK/Europe), and select independent retailers in North America. The album will be available in the following formats:
- Limited edition deluxe 2xLP box set with exclusive, expanded artwork in a gorgeous hardcover book containing both LPs pressed on clear red vinyl, a poster by Rafa Orrico, and two bonus 7” singles featuring covers of Chloë and the Next 20th Century songs, performed by Lana Del Rey (“Buddy’s Rendezvous”) and Jack Cruz (“Kiss Me (I Loved You)”).
- The limited Loser Edition 2xLP gatefold version pressed on clear blue vinyl (North America-only).
- Standard 2xLP gatefold version pressed on black vinyl.
- CD in a gatefold digipak with a poster.
There will also be a new T-shirt design available.
Father John Misty and his band have also scheduled two symphony performances for 2022: February 25th in Los Angeles at Walt Disney Concert Hall with the LA Phil, and April 7th in London at the Barbican with Britten Sinfonia conducted by Jules Buckley. Tickets for these shows will be on sale Friday, January 7th, 2022 at 10 am (local).