When I was twenty-three I had a waking vision of a creature trying to get inside my apartment. At the time I couldn’t tell if it was malevolent and bent on my destruction since it would not speak but only scrabbled at the windows and beat on the walls. Whatever it was, it had wings and was terrifying. All night I piled furniture in front of the door to keep it from getting in, which seemed to work. I should mention that I also had a fever and was taking exotic narcotics to deal with it. The upshot of this episode was that I dropped out of school and began to write songs, to play music. This was not music that ever traveled, at least not for many years (my lower-class, small town upbringing ensured I had absolutely no ambition), but it was music that permeated everything. My friends and I lived together, made recordings, played occasional shows and mostly just worked out our demons through narcotic substances and song.
My theory now is that the creature at the door was not evil, but rather a silent angel whose presence forced me to jump the rails. It would be many years of playing and drinking before I would once again jump the rails at the request of my deceased father, become homeless and record Wild Mountain Nation in the old telegraph building. This was a similar change, one which made me travel, pushed Blitzen Trapper out onto the road. In 2007 our reluctant success came in the form of “Best New Music” recognition from Pitchfork for Wild Mountain Nation, a record that sounded like it had been authored by a…
American Goldwing is Sub Pop’s third full-length release with Portland’s Blitzen Trapper and the band’s sixth full-length overall. Over the course of their career they’ve earned rave reviews (from…
Click the white play button to stream audio or right click the link to download the MP3.
Follow the links for QuickTime videos.
- Blitzen Trapper - Girl in A Coat (MOV)
- Blitzen Trapper - Taking It Easy Too Long (MOV)
- Blitzen Trapper - Love The Way You Walk Away (MOV)
- Blitzen Trapper - American Goldwing Album Trailer (MOV)
- Blitzen Trapper - The Tree (MOV)
- Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void Promo (made by BT's Brian Koch!) (MOV)
- Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer at KEXP (MOV)
- Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer (MOV)
- Blitzen Trapper - Wild Mountain Nation (MOV)
- Blitzen Trapper - Furr (MOV)
- No tour dates scheduled at this time.
- Promo Photo - Photo 4 (by Tyler Kohlhoff)
- Promo Photo - Photo 3 (by Tyler Kohlhoff)
- Promo Photo - Photo 2 (by Tyler Kohlhoff)
- Promo Photo - Photo 1 (by Tyler Kohlhoff)
- Cover - Field Rexx
- Cover - Blitzen Trapper
- Cover - Wild Mountain Nation
- Cover - Furr
- Cover - Black River Killer
- Cover - Destroyer of the Void
- Cover - VII
- Cover - American Goldwing
- Cover - Wild Mountain Nation (ex-US/CA)
- Press - Filter Mgazine Album Review of "American Goldwing"
- Press - RollingStone Album Review of "American Goldwing""
- Press - New York Times show listing
- Press - Destroyer of the Void review in Alternative Press
- Press - Blitzen Trapper Review in Filter
- Press - Blitzen Trapper Review in Rolling Stone
- Press - 4-star lead review of Destroyer of the Void in Uncut
- Press - 4-star Q review of Destroyer of the Void
- Press - Metro NY feature review of Furr
- Press - Portland Monthly Feature (Sept. 2008)
- Press - Billboard review of Furr
- Press - American Songwriter review of Furr
- Press - Rolling Stone feature (Oct. 30, 2008)
- Press - Spin review of Furr