This just in from our friends in The Helio Sequence…
Benjamin and I just got back from a great tour in Scandinavia and the UK with Low. Here are a few things we learned while over there:
- People in Sweden really are more attractive, intelligent and well educated than everywhere else AND Stockholm really is cleaner, more sophisticated and charming than anywhere else.
- The Danish use a “floating ground” system, which for those of us with no electrical training means: “watch out or you’ll be shocked with 240 volts on your lips if you touch that microphone!”
- Drinking enough Scotch on an overnight ferry ride across the English channel has a similar effect to taking 4 Dramamine. But…either way you will still feel like you’re on the ferry for the entire next day, even if you are on solid ground.
- They DO NOT drive on the wrong side of the road in the UK (and you will definitely be set straight if you say otherwise on stage!)
- Stonehenge actually isn’t smaller than you think it will be when you see it for the first time…it actually seems bigger…that is, if you expected it to be smaller in the first place because everyone has already told you it will be smaller than you expect it to be. Get what I mean?
- If you are on stage in Gateshead do not say “Hello Newcastle!!!”
- Brown sauce is good…on just about everything. Mushy peas are not as disgusting as they sound. A Banger IS a type of food. And beans for breakfast is a possibility.
- Watch what you say and do in the UK because Big Brother really is watching. Just take a look around and see how many CCTV cameras are trained on you at any given moment anywhere you may be.
That concludes the observational part of this post. Now, on to the news. We’ve got a really big US tour to announce!!! We’ve had people e-mailing asking us “Please come to Peoria” and “Please come to Evanston”…well, we’re not going to make it to either of those cities but we are going to a whole lot of other places. The full list of our tour dates is here. We’d love to see you out at the show!
The mighty Sub Pop is having a HUGE showcase at 2008’s SXSW in Austin this year. How huge is it? Two stages huge!
Our showcase will be on Friday March 14th at Bourbon Rocks and Bourbon Rocks Patio which are both connected, but not really connected. Bourbon Rocks is located at 508 E. 6th St. (6th and Neches) and doors are at 7:15pm.
Here’s how the whole shebang will go down:
BOURBON ROCKS STAGE (inside)
Love As Laughter – 8pm
Sera Cahoone – 9pm
Grand Archives – 10pm
Kelley Stoltz – 11pm
Fleet Foxes – 12am
Blitzen Trapper – 1am
BOURBON ROCKS PATIO STAGE (outside)
The Ruby Suns – 8:30pm
Pissed Jeans – 9:30pm
Handsome Furs – 10:30pm
The Helio Sequence – 11:30pm
No Age – 12:30pm
Also, click HERE for day party info.
As we mentioned just the other day, our very close, personal, close friends in The Helio Sequence are recording a performance of their song Keep Your Eyes Ahead on The Jimmy Kimmel Live late-night TV talk/variety program this very evening in Los Angeles. And, this just in…
This performance will air this coming Monday, February 25th. So, naturally, you should watch!
On Friday, February 22nd, our close personal friends in The Helio Sequence will be in Los Angeles, recording a performance of the song Keep Your Eyes Ahead
from their almost unbelievably amazing new album of the very same name (Keep Your Eyes Ahead) on the Jimmy Kimmel Live TELEVISION PROGRAM! This episode will be airing at some later date in the next week or so (ON TV!), but if you happen to live in the Los Angeles area (or will be there this Friday), you might be able to go see The Helio Sequence on the Jimmy Kimmel show. Here’s the shinola on how to do that:
Guests must be at least 18 with a valid ID. They will need to be available form 5:30PM to 8:00PM on Friday, Feb. 22nd. They can get tickets at www.1iota.com or by calling 866-JIMMYTIX.
Seems easy enough! DO IT! Plus, Sarah Silverman might be there!
Brandon and Benjamin are not the type to sit around and wait for opportunity to come knocing on their door. No, they are the type of guys that go out there and seize the day and play instores and make videos and do interviews, and not just because we make them! It’s because they want to!
The Helio Sequence are at the tail end of making their video for “Keep Your Eyes Ahead”, directed by Portland’s own Whitey McConnaughey. Our pals at MTV’s Subterranean will bringing you the behind the scenes photos from the video shoot so be sure to check it out here.
Also, the Helios were here last week to play an amazing instore at Easy Street Records and these photos prove it. Read more about the instore here.
Oh geez, and if you haven’t already you should BUY the record!
Hey look, it’s Brandon and Benjamin!