The Head and the Heart released their self-titled full length on April 16th, which also marked the 3rd Annual Record Store Day. To commemorate this momentous occasion the band performed two in-stores in their hometown of Seattle, WA. The first, was an acoustic set at Sonic Boom Records, and the second, a fully plugged in jammer at Queen Anne’s Easy Street Records. Working closely with the folks at KEXP to capture these performances we now present you an insider look into a day in the life of Seattle’s own The Head and the Heart. Click here to watch the first of a series of segments showcasing the bands foot stomping performances and day to day chatter.
But wait! There’s more, as it is time to set your DVRS, as The Head and the Heart will be performing on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon on May 18th. Click here for more information on the show.
The band, who have been on the road since February and have no plans to slow down anytime soon, are currently playing shows on the West Coast meeting up with ex Sub Popper/dear friend, Iron & Wine in late Mate/early June and Portland’s, The Decemberists in mid July, with a performance at this years Sasquatch Music Festival in late May.
Seattle’s own The Head and the Heart’s self-titled full-length is officially available on CD/LP today, April 16, which also coincides with the 3rd Annual Record Store Day. To commemorate this momentous occasion (and indie retail holiday), the band will perform two in-stores in their hometown. The first, an acoustic set at 3:00 pm at the Ballard Sonic Boom, and the second a full band performance at Queen Anne’s Easy Street Records at 7:00 pm.
But wait! There’s more…
The band will join guests Reese Witherspoon and Kevin McHale to make their television debut April 21st on Conan. They will perform their latest single Lost in My Mind which is available to download for free now!
We at Sub Pop Records will be very thoroughly celebrating Record Store Day this year, with a number of releases and events across the country very nearly beyond our meager ability to count. We’ll have limited-edition Record Store Day exclusive releases from Blitzen Trapper, Fleet Foxes and Lower Dens, a free 19-track Sub Pop sampler, and in-store performances by Obits, Low and The Head and the Heart. Plus, the self-titled debut from The Head and the Heart comes out on CD and LP on April 16th as part of Record Store Day. To find a participating store, go here.
Our 2011 label sampler, comes housed in an embossed, die-cut package, and includes 18 art prints with information about each of the artists and a folded poster. Sub Pop would like to give it to you.
1. Daniel Martin Moore “Dark Road” from the album In the Cool of the Day (SP860), available January 2011
2. Aurelio “Tio Sam” from the album Laru Beya (NXA002), available on Next Ambiance January 2011
3. The Twilight Singers “On the Corner” from the album Dynamite Steps (SP844), available February 2011
4. Mogwai “Slight Domestic” from the “Mexican Grand Prix” 7" single on Rock Action Records, available February 2011
5. Papercuts “Do What You Will” from the album Fading Parade (SP885), available February 2011
6. Dum Dum Girls “Wrong Feels Right” from the He Gets Me High EP (SP917), available March 2011
7. J Mascis “Not Enough” from the album Several Shades of Why (SP859), available March 2011
8. Obits “You Gotta Lose” from the album Moody, Standard and Poor (SP857) available March 2011
9. Low “Try to Sleep” from the album C’mon (SP905), available April 2011
10. The Head and the Heart “No One to Let You Down,” previously unreleased. The album The Head and the Heart (SP915) is available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
11. Blitzen Trapper “Maybe Baby” from the “Maybe Baby” 7" single (SP929), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
12. Lower Dens “Deer Knives” from the “Deer Knives” 7" single (SP927), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
13. Fleet Foxes “Helplessness Blues” from the album Helplessness Blues (SP888), available May 2011
14. Chad VanGaalen “Peace on the Rise” from the album Diaper Island (SP871), available May 2011
15. Shabazz Palaces “lost foundling.” This Shabazz Palaces track is not from the album Black Up (SP900), available May 2011
16. Memoryhouse “Sleep Patterns” from The Years EP (SP925), available at some as-yet-undetermined point in 2011
17. Mister Heavenly “Mister Heavenly” from the as-yet-untitled Mister Heavenly debut album (SP926), available August 2011
18. Niki and the Dove “The Fox” From “The Fox” 12" single (SP930), available June 2011
19. Blouse “Shadow” From the “Shadow” 7" single (SP939), available May 2011
Bands Performing in Actual Record Stores The Head and the Heart
Sonic Boom (Ballard), Seattle, WA 3pm (acoustic)
Easy Street (Queen Anne), Seattle, WA 7pm (full band)
Electric Fetus, Minneapolis, MN 4pm
Generation Records, New York, NY time TBC.
Beautiful World Syndicate , Philadelphia 2pm
Record Store Day is just around the corner (April 17th) and we here at Sub Pop HQ like to get the celebration going early. So in that spirit, we are offering two tracks from the upcoming Beach House Record Store Day 12" single. The first track is a brand new song exclusive to the upcoming 12" called “The Arrangement” and the second is a free mp3 of the UK radio edit of “Zebra”.
Track Listing for the Beach House “Zebra” 12" (sp877) out April 17th!
1. Zebra (UK Radio Edit)
2. The Arrangement
2. 10 Mile Stereo (Cough Syrup Remix)
In other Beach House news, last week we stumbled upon a clip of the PS22 Children’s Chorus cover of “Zebra” circulating around the web. We loved it so much, we decided we should share it with you! Click here to listen to their rendition of the song.
While you’re at it, check out this totally awesome session that the band recorded while they were in Europe for La Blogotheque. You can check that out here.
Record Store Day (RSD) 2010 is this Saturday, April 17th. To get you in the mood we have put together a an embeddable SoundCloud playlist featuring select tracks from the seven different limited edition RSD Sub Pop releases. Be warned, this playlist will only be available until Monday, April 19th! A complete list of releases and in-store performances provided below. Cick here for a list of participating stores.
Sub Pop Record Store Day Playlist
1. The Album Leaf – There Is A Wind (Acoustic)
2. Beach House – The Arrangement
3. CocoRosie – Lemonade
4. Comets on Fire – Dogwood Rust
5. Dum Dum Girls – Pay For Me
6. Happy Birthday – Shampoo
7. Male Bonding – Before It’s Gone
8. Soundgarden – Hunted Down
Here is a full track listing for our limited edition record Store Day releases.
Beach House “Zebra” 12” (sp877)
The “Zebra” 12” features 2 new tracks (“The Arrangement” and “Baby”) and 2 alternate takes on songs from the popular 2010 Teen Dream album (a UK radio edit of “Zebra” and the Cough Syrup remix of “10 Mile Stereo”). Available now: Beach House’s Teen Dream SP845, CD+DVD/2xLP+DVD. (2,750 copies)
1. Zebra (UK Radio Edit)
2. The Arrangement
2. 10 Mile Stereo (Cough Syrup Remix)
The Album Leaf “There Is a Wind” 12” (sp878)
The “There Is a Wind” 12” features 2 new tracks (“Landing in Snow” and “Resonations”) and 2 alternate takes on songs from the popular 2010 A Chorus of Storytellers album (an acoustic version of “There Is a Wind” and the Jamuel Saxon sunburnt remix of “Falling from the Sun”). Also available now: The Album Leaf’s A Chorus of Storytellers SP805, CD/2xLP. (2,000 copies)
1. There Is a Wind (acoustic)
2. Landing in Snow
2. Falling from the Sun (Jamuel Saxon sunburnt remix)
Dum Dum Girls / Male Bonding 7” (sp876)
Two brand-new and exclusive tracks for Record Store Day 2010, one each from LA’s Dum Dum Girls and London’s Male Bonding. Both bands have debut albums out this spring on Sub Pop. Also available now: Dum Dum Girls’ I Will Be SP840, CD/LP. Available May 11th: Male Bonding’s Nothing Hurts SP854, CD/LP. (2,250 copies)
Side A: Dum Dum Girls “Pay for Me”
Side AA: Male Bonding “Before It’s Gone”
Happy Birthday 7” (sp874)
Two brand-new and exclusive tracks for Record Store Day 2010 from Kyle “King Tuff” Thomas’ Happy Birthday. Both of these tracks, like those of Happy Birthday’s self-titled March 2010 debut album, were recorded and mixed at Kyle’s home studio. Available March 16th: Happy Birthday’s Happy Birthday SP850 CD/LP. (1,750 copies)
Side A: “Shampoo”
Side B: “Alien”
Soundgarden “Hunted Down” 7” Reissue (sp12a)
This reissue of a Sub Pop classic was arranged specially for Record Store Day. “Hunted Down” was released in June 1987 as the band’s first single and was later available on Screaming Life. This single is pressed on translucent orange vinyl. The original, now a Soundgarden collector’s item, was pressed on blue vinyl. (4,575 copies)
Side A: “Hunted Down”
Side B: “Nothing to Say”
CocoRosie “Lemonade" 7” (sp884)
The A-side to this limited-edition single is an edit of one of the stand-out tracks from the new CocoRosie album Grey Oceans and the B-side is the band’s cover of the Beach Boys’ classic “Surfer Girl.” Grey Oceans, CocoRosie’s Sub Pop debut (and fourth full-length album overall) will be released on May 11, 2010. Watch a ““Smokey Taboo” trailer from Grey Oceans. (1,000 copies)
Side A: “Lemonade”
Side B: “Surfer Girl”
SP20: Casual Nostalgia Fest CD (sp879)
We at Sub Pop Records celebrated our 20th anniversary in 2008 with, among other things, a 2-day music festival July 12th and 13th at Marymoor Park, somewhat unimaginatively called SP20. We’ve collected here some of our favorite performances from the SP20 festival. Sub Pop will be donating all of the profits from the sale of this CD to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. (9,200 copies)
1. Green River: “Leech”
2. Wolf Parade: “Fine Young Cannibals”
3. The Vaselines: “Dying for It”
4. Obits: “Run”
5. Les Thugs: “Dirty White Race”
6. Eric’s Trip: “Smother”
7. Beachwood Sparks: “You Take the Gold”
8. Blitzen Trapper: “Furr”
9. Flight of the Conchords: “Carol Brown”
10. Iron & Wine: “Woman King”
11. Constantines: “Why I Didn’t Like August ‘93”
12. Seaweed “Baggage”
13. Grand Archives: “Dig That Crazy Grave”
14. Low: “Silver Rider”
15. The Helio Sequence: “Lately”
16. Kinski: “The Wives of Artie Shaw”
17. Pissed Jeans: “Caught Licking Leather”
18. Mudhoney: “The Open Mind”
19. Comets on Fire: “Dogwood Rust”
Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba at Waterloo Records in Austin
Male Bonding & Dum Dum Girls at Origami Records in Los Angeles
No Age at Sweat Records in Miami
Steve Turner from Mudhoney DJ set at Everyday Music PDX (Burnside) from 12-2 PM
It’s Male Bonding Monday here at Sub Pop! And, what better way to kick a case of the Garfields?
First off, we’re giving away a free mp3 download of the song Year’s Not Long off the upcoming Male Bonding full-length record album debut Nothing Hurts. You may have recently read the “Best New Music” track review Pitchfork posted about this song, written by a guy with the unbelievably awesome name of Larry Fitzmaurice. If you have not, please do so now.
In other Male Bonding news, the band has teamed up with the Dum Dum Girls on a limited edition 7" for this year’s Record Store Day (April 17! Mark your calendars!). In celebration (and, yes, also promotion, we’re hoping…) of this release in particular and Record Store Day in general, both bands will be playing an in-store at Origami Vinyl in Los Angeles. That’s Saturday, April 17, 2010: Dum Dum Girls go on at 2:00 PM and Male Bonding plays at 3:00 PM. Full details on all of Sub Pop’s Record Store Day 2010 offerings are here.
Apr 06 Green Room, Montreal, Canada
Apr 07 El Mocambo Club, Toronto, ON, Canada
Apr 08 Magic Stick, Detroit, MI
Apr 09 Empty Bottle, Chicago, IL
Apr 10 Turf Club, St. Paul, MN
Apr 13 Chop Suey, Seattle, WA
Apr 14 Doug Fir Lounge, Portland, OR
Apr 15 Bottom of the Hill, San Francisco, CA
Apr 18 The Smell, Los Angeles, CA