“Make Sub Pop Great Again.” You’ve seen the shirt, and the skateboard and perhaps the promotional compact disc compilation, but what have you really done for us lately? This month marks my first foray into airport-store-blogging, as our beloved (and, arguably, somewhat luscious) Jackson has decamped to New Orleans. And, I’d like to do my bit to help restore Sub Pop’s greatness by sharing a few of the most important planks in our party platform. Here’s a look at some of what you could expect if (your god of choice forbid…) Sub Pop was elected president, governor, alderman, or block watch captain…
- We will try to put our name, really big, on everything we touch. This is something we feel very strongly about. It’s kind of un-American not to, and it sends a clear message. Sub Pop can be Great and our typeface sizes need to reflect that.
- Extremely well-organized cups and neatly-folded shirts. At the Sub Pop airport store, we have a team of dedicated professionals working practically around the clock (6am -10pm, to be precise) to ensure that all cups meet the strict presentation guidelines put in place by our award-winning art department. All mug handles are to point at an exact 315 degree angle. Shirts are routinely inspected and adjusted using proprietary state-of-the-art folding technologies.
- Equal Access. The Sub Pop Airport store strives to be somewhat accessible. We’re not here to erect barriers between you and that brand new Logo Grey Athletic w/Black T shirt. We’re trying to build bridges, not walls. So, our store is conveniently located in the central terminal at Seatac Airport in Seattle, Washington and all you need is a ticket to travel, a valid form of government-issued identification and a dream. You also need ample time (we suggest the $85 TSA precheck pass to reduce your security wait time). Also, you’re probably going to need a spare hand for all that schwag so we do suggest checking all bags for a nominal $50 to $100 fee (see corresponding airline for exact prices). To recap: ticket, ID, dream, expendable time dedicated to shopping, and two unencumbered hands. That’s it. You are access Sub Pop.
- We believe in the power of the same shirt in many different colors. Black on white, white on black, yellow on green, green on blue, blue on a lighter blue, etc… We know life is full of hard decisions and we also know that the choices we make ultimately define who we become. At Sub Pop, we want to help you become a better you, a you who owns at least five to seven color combinations of Sub Pop T-shirts. So, whether your blood runs red or blue, rest assured, we’ve got the shirt that’s going to match it.
- Transparency. We believe certain Loser editions should be on transparent vinyl, colored vinyl, swirly marble vinyl. We often have these in stock long after other record stores have sold out. The choice is clear. But it’s also black and white. It’s Fuschia. It’s teal. The choice is yours.
For more information regarding the party platform please refer to the informational poster board from our recent Bumbershoot festival pop-up shop.