This photo was taken this morning and is 100% real. Trust.
News from 2009
First and foremost, if you don’t already own The Way of The Vaselines, your record collection should most certainly be considered incomplete. As proof, consider the fact that Kurt Cobain (he was in Nirvana!) called The Vaselines “(his) favorite songwriters in the world.” Second and secondmost, if you do already own The Way of The Vaselines, please congratulate yourself on your unassailable good taste! Unfortunately, we’re about to make that collection obsolete with this new, much more complete Vaselines compilation, Enter The Vaselines. Sorry! But, finally and finalmost, if you pre-order the double-CD or triple-LP (complete with digital download code) by May 5th, you’ll automatically receive $2 off (so, $13 for the CDs and $19 for the LPs) plus altogether F-R-E-E Vaselines-related stickers and a button! And, arguably more importantly, you’ll have earned an enhanced feeling of smugness about your record collection. We will, of course, have earned your money. And that’s thanks enough for us.
Order Enter The Vaselines here
Listen to The Vaselines here
And without further ado, and practically zero fanfare, here are the (mostly free!) SXSW parties with SUB POP bands! I was thinking about writing the addresses and all that jazz, but I thought that since these were free shows it’d be okay for you to do a small amount of work and figure out the location on your own. Plus, teach a man a fish and all that, you know? Anyway, enough with my constant ramblings…. HERE IS THE INFO YOU NEED!
See you in the pit, doodz.
- Vetiver : the Austinist.com Party at the Mohawk 4pm
- Vetiver : Leafy Green Showcase at Emo’s Jr. 10pm
- Vetiver : Bay Bridged Party at Beauty Bar 2:30pm
- Handsome Furs : Fader Fort Party 3:30pm
- Blitzen Trapper : NPR Music Day Party at The Parish 4pm
- No Age : Found Magazine Party at Red 7 4:30pm
- Vetiver : Dog & Pony Party at Opal Divine’s 5pm
- Obits : Insound Party at Club Deville @ 12:30pm
- Handsome Furs : Insound Party at Club Deville @ 1:20
- Vetiver : Waterloo Records In-store 2pm
- Vetiver : SFxSW Party at Wave on 6th Street 4pm
- Handsome Furs : Waterloo Records In-store 6pm
- Obits : WFMU/Aquarius Records Showcase at Spiro’s 11pm
- Vetiver : Mess With Texas Fest at 1:35pm
- Obits : Filter Magazine Party at Cedar Street Courtyard 1:45pm
- Tiny Vipers : End of an Ear In-Store 3pm
- Obits : VICE Saves Texas party (311 E. 5th St., at Trinity) at 1:00 am
This is the one and only Green River t-shirt (that we’re aware of, at least) and it has been reissued on high-quality, 180-gram, American Apparel cotton (the gram thing isn’t true, but it helps an otherwise needy metaphor). The front of the shirt features the band and the back boasts a six-pack paired with the term, “Ride the Fucking Six-Pack”. So if you’re wearing it to school, you may need to turn it inside-out when you get off the bus.
Pick it up here
Grab Dry as a Bone while you’re at it!
It’s back! We’re a little late in letting the tens of you good people who regularly visit our website know about it, but we’re exceptionally pleased with ourselves to announce the return of The Sub Pop Scholarship! We’ve done this for the past few years (2007 announcement and winning loser, the 2008 announcement and last year’s crop of losers) and are really just ridiculously happy to be able to do so again this year (you know, what with the virtual collapse of the record industry, the generally crappy state of the economy, this swine flu business, etc.).
So! The details!
Sub Pop Records in Seattle, WA is offering a grand total of $13,000 worth of college scholarship money to three eligible high school seniors. There are three scholarships—one for $6,000, one for $4,000 and one for $3,000. To apply for these scholarships you must be a resident of Washington or Oregon, and a graduating senior on your way to full-time enrollment at an accredited university or college. We are looking for an applicant who is involved and/or interested in music and/or the creative arts in some way.
To apply for these scholarships we would like you to submit an essay, no longer than one page, letting us know about one or more of the following topics:
* What are you doing in the arts/music field in your community?
* How and/or why did you become interested in artistic outlets?
* How would this scholarship money help you progress in your chosen field?
* What are your influences and/or who inspires you?
* Who are some of your favorite bands or artists?
Applicants are encouraged to send digital links and provide hard copies of their artwork along with their essay. However, please be aware that Sub Pop will not return any of this material, so please don’t send originals. Sub Pop will give equal opportunity to all applicants who fit the criteria outlined above. The deadline for applications is June 15th.
Please send all submissions and attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
All physical submissions should be sent to:
Sub Pop Records
2013 4th Ave, 3rd Floor
Seattle, WA 98121
Amount: $6,000 / $4,000 / $3,000 – checks will be made payable to the university or college of the winning applicants’ choice and applied to winning applicants’ tuition.